You are here: Home > Marketing
Attention: Soul-Inspired Entrepreneurs, Small Business Owners And Corporate Marketing Communications Professionals
Here's my definition:
"Marketing = Managing Perceptions, Motivations, Expectations and Experiences"
I'm Kay Ross, a Hong Kong-based Australian marketing consultant, editor and copywriter.
Talk to me if you want expert help with:
- understanding what your customers are really buying;
- crafting and telling effective stories about what you do, why you do it, how you serve the world, and why that matters to your customers;
- looking at how everything you do in your business affects people's perceptions, motivations and expectations about you, your company, your products and services, your industry...;
- spotting opportunities, and
- record giving your customers, Facebook friends, Twitter followers, staff, suppliers, volunteers and investors good reasons to love you and rave about you.
Is your marketing not getting the results you want?
Are you the multi-tasking owner of a growing business? Too preoccupied with day-to-day management crises to invest the time to devise creative marketing strategies, study the global business environment or write effective ads, brochures, website text, social media content, blog posts, newsletters, project proposals, media releases...?
Or maybe you're worried that you're not "creative" enough to write effective marketing material. I recently met a business-owner who is a fitness trainer, and he told me: "I can lift heavy weights easily, but I can't lift a pen to write."
Or perhaps you're a busy corporate marketing professional, wrestling with tasks and deadlines. Do you need a fast, objective, reliable and experienced native-English-speaking marketing consultant, editor and copywriter to step in and take some of the load off your shoulders?
Talk to me: Kay Ross
You know how Trinny and Susannah of "What Not to Wear" fame do makeovers of badly dressed women? Well, I do makeovers of badly written, ineffective marketing messages.
I specialise in advising my clients about their marketing strategies, and writing and editing compelling English-language marketing messages.
Bottom line: whether your "stuff" is a product, a service or an idea, I'll help you sell more stuff, more frequently, to more people, more profitably, and make a bigger, positive difference in the world. And I'll make you more money than you pay me.
I have 30+ years of experience in marketing, in Australia, the UK and Hong Kong - check out my CV.
Talk to me if you need help with:
- Marketing consulting & coaching (see Services)
- Editing and copywriting of compelling, shareworthy English-language marketing communications material (see Services)
- Training you and your team about marketing, copywriting, media relations, Twitter, teamwork, leadership, communication, creativity... (see Courses)
A proven track record
I've been fascinated by the subject of marketing for over 30 years; I've read a gazillion marketing books and blog posts, and I subscribe to some excellent e-newsletters about marketing and copywriting (see Resources).
I've also participated in countless seminars and teleconferences with world-renowned business and marketing experts (Jay Abraham, Robert and Kim Kiyosaki, Kendall SummerHawk, Ron Kaufman, Rick Frishman, Steve Harrison, Robert Middleton, Ann Handley, Lizabeth Phelps, Isabel Parlett, Marie Forleo, Mark Ragan...).
My clients have included individuals, non-profit community groups, small businesses and big multinational corporations. Many of my clients are not native speakers of English, but even native speakers need help to make their written English more effective, right?
See my Portfolio and Testimonials.
So what is marketing anyway?
Lots of clients come to me thinking that marketing means simply putting an ad in the newspaper, creating a colourful logo, distributing some flyers, building a snazzy website or setting up a Facebook page. And they're constantly, frantically looking for NEW clients.
But marketing is about much more than that! ALL the elements of how you and your organisation interact with the world have to present a consistent and positive image and story. And you need to surprise and delight your CURRENT clients with better-than-expected experiences.
Why? Because EVERYTHING you do creates perceptions, motivations and expectations in the minds of the people who determine the success of your business or organisation: your current and prospective clients, your staff, your volunteers, your suppliers, journalists, investors, sponsors, politicians, government bureaucrats...
And EVERYTHING you do to design and manage the experiences those people have when they deal with your company (online and in the real world) influences their perceptions, motivations and expectations - think about the way your receptionist answers the telephone; the user-friendliness of your website; the process for buying your product or service; the cleanliness of your delivery truck; the design of your office or shop; the fairness of your accounting procedures; the speed and politeness of your response when they complain or ask for help...
It's those perceptions, motivations, expectations and experiences that make them decide whether or not to buy your product or service, keep doing business with you, support your cause and recommend you to their friends. It's all about the way they FEEL about you and your product or service, the way they feel about themselves when they use your product or service, and what your product or service enables them to think, feel, do, have, be, aspire to...
So here's the Kay Ross definition of marketing:
Marketing = managing perceptions, motivations, expectations and experiences
Read my Articles for more insights.
My clients and prospective clients typically ask me questions like:
- What is marketing?
- What do "copywriting", "editing" and "proofreading" actually mean?
- How do I get free publicity in the newspaper?
- How much do you charge?
- Can you send me some examples of your work?
- How long will it take?
- What kind of results can I expect?
For the answers, check out my FAQ page.
And what about the results?
Just imagine what results like these will do for you and your business:
- People "get" your message - no jargon, no fluff, just plain English that makes sense and appeals to their emotions.
- Your current and prospective clients are inspired to take action, so you "sell more stuff" and make more money.
- Your staff-members present a positive, consistent message and image, and understand the importance of marketing and customer service.
- You have a stronger, more clearly articulated brand.
- You feel like a weight has been lifted off your shoulders, knowing that your marketing messages and campaigns are well crafted, accurate, timely, shareworthy and effective.
- You have more time and energy to focus on what you do best.
- You're smarter about choosing which marketing strategies to invest in.
- You enjoy better, more profitable, longer-term relationships with all of your organisation's stakeholders (clients, staff, the media, volunteers, suppliers, investors, sponsors...)
- You get terrific publicity that gets results!
- You have a new mindset about marketing, and look at everything you do from your customers' point of view.
- Your clients are delighted to do business with you and to refer their friends to you!
So what kind of marketing expertise do YOU need today?
I want to build a long-term business relationship with you - one based on mutual trust and respect, and one that gets results we're both happy with. That means I'm not interested in last-minute, one-off, "can-you-check-our-brochure-because-it's-just-about-to-go-to-print?" transactions.
To get started, I'll need to find out a lot about you, your business and your marketing goals. And you'll probably have lots of questions for me (but please, read my FAQ page first). So we'll need to meet face-to-face, or at least chat online or on the phone, to decide whether or not we want to work together.
Contact me today to arrange an initial, no-obligation discussion. Then, if we agree to move ahead, I guarantee that you'll get money-in-the-bank results with your marketing.
P.S. If you'd like to receive my free "Sell the Sizzle" article, full of practical tips about how to write compelling marketing communications material, please go to the opt-in box in the top right-hand corner of this page. You'll also automatically receive my free monthly marketing e-newsletter.